June 11 - 18, 1889

Hennepin Co., Minneapolis, Nicollet Avenue between 44th and 46th Streets, Pleasant Park    Map

Find it today: The Review and Herald and Minneapolis Tribune refer to the site as being on Nicollet Avenue between 44th and 46th Streets, although, the Review also refers to it being on Pleasant Avenue which is 4 blocks to the west.  Throughout the years that camp meeting was held here, six years from 1889 to 1894, this area of picturesque countryside dotted with lakes and groves made for a truly pleasant spot for gatherings; baptisms were held at nearby Lake Harriet a few blocks to the west. Today, on the tree-lined Nicollet, there is no semblance of a park - rather the area is filled with small businesses and modest, but tidy, homes.

Read more about this camp meeting in the Minneapolis Tribune newspapers:

June 11, 1889 - The 3rd column shows the annoucement of the opening of camp meeting
June 12, 1889 - The 2nd column article entitled "Tent Worshipers"
June 13, 1889 - The 3rd column article entitled "Eleven Hundred Sermons"
June 15, 1889 - The 5th column article entitled "Their Sabbath Today"
June 16, 1889 - The 6th column article entitled "A Peculiar People"
June 18, 1889 - The 1st column article entitled "Breaking Camp"
Of additional interest is a map of Minneapolis in 1883


THE interest in the lectures here at Minneapolis, by Eld. A. T. Jones, continued without abatement from the beginning to the end. After my last letter the Elder was taken sick, in fact was so when he arrived, and for several days was unable to lecture only occasionally. Brn. Belden and Mead filled in the time, which with the reporting class in the morning, and preaching evenings, quieted all dissatisfaction. Many good social meetings were enjoyed early in the morning, and after preaching service evenings. The institute closed Monday, the 29th, and all, at parting, felt that they could go to their several fields of labor strengthened for the tasks before them.

Tuesday morning Eld. Moon, secretary of the Minnesota Conference Committee, took the Battle Creek brethren and Mrs. Jones "sight-seeing." The writer had time only to run out to Minnehaha Falls, and to the old camp-ground, and Washburn Park, where the meeting will be this year. Minnehaha Park, including the falls, has been purchased by the city for $150,000, and is to be turned into a large city park, with over twelve miles of boulevard. Untold-sums of money will, it is said, be expended in its improvement and adornment. Because of this sale, and the beginning of work upon the grounds by the city authorities, the Minnesota Conference could not obtain the use of it for camp-meeting purposes, but did secure, in close proximity and on the motor line, Washburn Park, without cost. It is said to be, in every way, as desirable a place as Minnehaha Park, and is only ten minutes walk "across fields" from the falls. The Conference is a good one to turn out to these meetings, there being an average attendance of over 800 yearly. The outside interest is always good, fully 5,000 people usually visiting the camp daily, and frequently the motor line will carry 10,000 people on Sundays. On this account the directors of the line always make the Conference a present, generally of $100. It is expected that 150 family tents will be pitched, and besides the large pavillion tent, 80x120 feet, there will be two forty-foot circles, one for the Scandinavian and the other for the German brethren, besides a 30 x 50 children's tent. The new soldier's home in the immediate vicinity is nearly ready for occupancy, and will be open to visitors by camp-meeting time. By arrangement with the motor company, visiting brethren will be carried from the depot to the camp-ground for one fare, five cents.

One of the greatest wonders of the world (called by the owner '' the eighth wonder") is to be seen in Minneapolis. I refer to the "Pillsbury Flouring Mill A" which grinds 9,500,000 bushels of wheat yearly, and can manufacture 7,000 barrels of flour per day. This mill makes more flour daily than any other two mills in the world.

Its daily manufacture is more than two such cities as New York consumes in a day. The three mills of this company turn put 10,500 barrels of flour each day, and it requires 200 railroad cars daily to transport their production. The building is seven stories, the second floor devoted entirely to packing, and the walls are 125 feet high. A 1,200 horse-power engine, and water wheels with 1,500 horse-power supply the power for the three mills.

Tuesday evening Eld. Jones and wife, Eld. G. O. States, of Colorado, and the writer left on the North Western for Ottawa, Kan. In running across the prairies of Iowa that night, the brilliancy of the light from the almost continuous prairie fires, attracted attention, and formed an exciting and varying picture. The cold was remarkable and the car uncomfortable, although both stoves were kept going. Eld. States stopped at Council Bluffs to come over to Omaha. Eld. Jones and wife went on through to Kansas City and over the Santa Fe to Ottawa the same night, but the writer remained at the mission in Kansas City until the next day. Bro. D. T. Shireman and wife still continue " to hold the fort " there, "and have no discouraging report to offer." The Kansas City church is in hopes of seeing sister White and hearing her speak in their hall again; while Bro. Shireman is interesting some of the leading citizens to hire a hall that Eld. Jones may deliver one or two lectures on the evils of religious legislation, in that city, before he returns. Bro. Belden was left at Minneapolis, preparing to go to the meeting at Marvin, Indiana.

W. S. CHAPMAN. – Review and Herald, May 21, 1889


WE wish to call attention to a few more points in regard to the camp-meeting. The railroads have declined to grant reduced rates from points in West Wisconsin. The Burlington Road will only grant reduced fare from Winona. Those living at other points on that line could save something, perhaps, by crossing the river and coming on the Milwaukee Road. We hope that no one will get the impression that the Camp-grounds are near the Minnehaha Falls. They are two miles west, on Nicollet Ave., directly south of the business portion of the city, between Forty-fourth and Forty-sixth Sts. Those going to the grounds by team from the business part of the city, can go directly south on Nicollet Ave. to the grounds, or if they wish to avoid the motor, they can go out on Lyndale Ave. to Forty-third St. and then turn east, and after going a short distance, can see the camp. 

COMMITTEE – Review and Herald, June 4, 1889


We are pleased to be able to say that we have succeeded in securing reduced fare over all the railroads in Minnesota, and also in North Dakota, to the camp-meeting at Minneapolis, on the following terms: A certificate must be obtained at the office where you buy your ticket to come to the meeting, stating that you have paid full fare to Minneapolis on that date. This certificate, or receipt, you must bring with you to the ground; and at the close of the meeting, it must be presented to Bro. D. P. Curtis. to be filled out and signed by him. On presentation of this certificate at the ticket office in Minneapolis, you will be entitled to return for one-third fare.


1. Those who fail to secure and preserve certificates must pay full fare returning, as the roads are very strict in this matter.

2. Those who are compelled to come over more than one road should buy tickets as far as they come over each road, and obtain certificates from each agent.

3. All who live on the Chicago and Northwestern Road, and who will come to the meeting by way of Kasota, can buy through tickets to Minneapolis.

4. Those coming on the Wells Branch of the Milwaukee and St. Paul Road must buy tickets to Mankato, and at Mankato purchase tickets to Minneapolis by either the Omaha or the St. Louis Roads. Secure certificates both at your home station and at Mankato, and the agent of the Wells Branch at Mankato will be instructed to honor them when you return.

5. We still hope to secure reduced fare on the Burlington Road from points in Wisconsin between Minneapolis and La Crosse.

HOW TO REACH THE GROUNDS. Arriving at Minneapolis, you should take the motor train at Washington Ave. and First Ave. south to Thirty-first St. Junction. Here you will change cars, taking the train on the Washburn Park line to Forty-fourth St., which is but a short distance from the grounds. All trains stop at this point. There will be a camp-meeting agent at the depots on the llth and 12th of June, to whom all baggage checks should be delivered. Only hand baggage can be carried on the motor line. Provision has been made for carrying baggage to and from the grounds, with no danger of loss, at an expense of ten cents per trunk each way. As usual, there will be an ample store of provisions on the grounds, for sale at reasonable prices; also hay and grain for horses.

We desire to call attention once more to the matter of ordering tents. Those desiring them should order at once of C. M. Everest, Box 1058, Minneapolis, giving size of tent wanted. The sizes we have are 10x12, 12x14, 12x16, 12x12, and 14x14 ft.

MINN. CONF. COM. – Review and Herald, May 28, 1889


This meeting was held according to appointment, at Minneapolis, June 11-18. The camp was located three miles from the central part of the city, in a beautiful grove. The motor cars ran within a few rods of the ground, making it of easy access from the city. The attendance was about the same as it had been for the past few years in this State. There were some ninety tents pitched, and from 800 to 1,000 Sabbath-keepers encamped on the ground. We found the encampment in a reasonably good condition. The workers' meeting had been in progress for a week, and thus much of the work that formerly was done during the camp-meeting, was done before the meeting really began. The absence of the president, Bro. A. D. Olsen, on account of his feeble health, was seriously felt. He has been away since the middle of last winter. At first he went to the Sanitarium at Battle Creek, Mich.; after remaining there for a time, he thought best to go to Colorado, where he has been for several weeks. His trouble seems to be a weakness of the lungs, together with general nervous prostration. Although he is very weak, yet we are glad to report that he seems to be gaining, and we hope for his recovery soon.

Brn. O. A. Olsen, J. O. Corliss, R. S. Owen, R. C. Porter, and D. T, Jones were the laborers from abroad at this meeting, who carried the burden of the preaching and instruction. From the first of the meeting, it was evident that the Saviour had met with his people. There was a good, tender spirit in the congregation, and hearts were melted in love to God. This was seen in every social meeting we held. God's servants had great freedom in preaching the word to the hungry people, and the people appreciated the word spoken.

Bro. Allen Moon was elected president of the Conference, with Bro. R. C. Porter as second on the committee. Bro. Porter goes from Iowa to labor in Minnesota, by invitation of the General Conference Committee. Brn. Flaiz, Everest, and Graff were elected as the other members of the committee. Bro. H. Grant, who has been connected, officially, with the Conference twenty-six years, and who has acted as its president thirteen years of that time, has almost unconsciously grown to be an old man. He has stood, in a certain sense, as a father to the Conference, and during all these years he has had not only the respect but also the affection of the Conference, and never more so than at the present time. But the brethren could see that it was Bro. Grant's due that he should have some release from the heavy burdens which he had carried so long, and that younger and stronger men should put their shoulders under the load and carry it. We hope and pray that the Lord will spare Bro. Grant, that he may be a blessing to the Conference by his presence and counsel.

The Conference appointed a committee of three to meet with the committees of the other Conferences, to consider their educational interests; and although they did not formally unite with other Conferences, yet they authorized the committee to do so, provided that the school should not be located too far away. The canvassers have sold a little less than $20,000 worth of books the past year. The tithe reached about $13,500. They regarded their school which they have had in Minneapolis the past winter, as a decided success, and they expect to continue it during the coming year.

The revival services were really refreshing sea sons. About 200 came forward for prayers on the Sabbath, after which the whole congregation was divided into six divisions, and nearly every one took some part. On Monday, forty-three were baptized, after which service Bro. Emil Johnson was ordained to the work of the ministry. It was a precious season, and one that will not soon be forgotten by those that were present.

I regard this camp-meeting as one of the most profitable that I have ever attended in Minnesota. The brethren and sisters returned to their homes hopeful in God and with good courage. I think quite an improvement has been made in many respects during the past year. The Conference is better situated financially, and it seems to me that a better spirit prevailed. All this was cheering to those who attended. We are encouraged in reference to the work in Minnesota. It seems to me as though the prospects never were more encouraging than now, and I shall expect to see a greater work done the coming year.

E. W. FARNSWORTH – Review and Herald, July 2, 1889

Lessons of the past
Hope for the future