Hennepin Co., Minneapolis, Nicollet Avenue between 44th and 46th Streets, Pleasant Park Map
Find it today: The Review and Herald and Minneapolis Tribune refer to the site as being on Nicollet Avenue between 44th and 46th Streets, although, the Review also refers to it being on Pleasant Avenue which is 4 blocks to the west. Throughout the years that camp meeting was held here, six years from 1889 to 1894, this area of picturesque countryside dotted with lakes and groves made for a truly pleasant spot for gatherings; baptisms were held at nearby Lake Harriet a few blocks to the west. Today, on the tree-lined Nicollet, there is no semblance of a park - rather the area is filled with small businesses and modest, but tidy, homes.
I reached the camp the second day of the workers' meeting, and found a goodly number of tents pitched, and most of the laborers of the State on the ground. Elds. E. W. Farnsworth, M. H. Brown, O. A. Johnson, and H. R. Johnson were also present. Bro. F. S. Mead, district canvassing agent, held a canvassers' class each day of the workers' meeting, and Eld. R. C. Porter held a meeting in the interests of Religious Liberty. Interesting health and temperance meetings were conducted by Brn. Flaiz and Phelps. Altogether, the workers' meeting was a profitable one. There were 138 tents on the ground, and about 600 campers. Although it rained nearly every day or night of the meeting, scarcely a meeting was lost on this account. Two or three times the campers were aroused at night to prepare for an approaching wind, but no serious damage was done.
Minister's meetings were held nearly every day, and it was here that the key-note of the meeting was struck. The duties of ministers to one another, and the importance of having God's Spirit to support their efforts, were dwelt upon. God came tenderly near to his servants, and hearts were drawn together as mutual confessions and promises were made. The preaching was largely of a practical nature, and the people seemed hungry for it, which made it a pleasure to break to them the bread of life. At the early morning meetings many testified that precious light had come to them, which had shown them better how to be overcomers. Eld. O. A. Johnson and brother held daily meetings with the Scandinavians, of whom there was a goodly number on the ground; and Elds. Shrock and Leer, with the German brethren. Eld. M. H. Brown had charge of the Sabbath-school work, and held daily meetings with the young people. These were precious meetings, and deep impressions were made on the minds of the youth, a number of whom gave their hearts to the Lord.
The meetings of the Conference and other societies passed off pleasantly and harmoniously. All the members of the Conference committee were retained, and Eld. R. C. Porter was elected president. Bro. A. R. Henry spoke once in the interest of Union College, and quite an amount was pledged to carry forward that enterprise.
As the meeting drew near its close, the spiritual interest grew deeper. On the Sabbath the Lord drew very near to his people. After a discourse by Eld. Farnsworth, on the Laodicean message, an invitation was given to those who wanted to seek God for a new consecration, to come forward to the front seats. Not less than 200 responded without any urging, many of whom were seeking God for the first time. The good work was continued during the afternoon, and many told, with grateful tears, of God's goodness to them, and of their purpose to be his children. On Sunday there was a fair attendance from the city, to listen to evidences of the present truth, and I trust good impressions were made. On Monday morning, notwithstanding a heavy rain was falling and the pavilion was leaking badly, nearly all in the camp came together, and were instructed concerning their duty to bring in their tithes, and on other features of the Lord's work. By a rising vote, nearly every one promised, for the coming year, to carry out the Bible requirement to pay tithes. After a sermon on baptism and the necessity of a death to sin, forty-two dear souls followed their Saviour in that solemn rite. As they rose from the water, many praised God aloud for the tokens of his love. At the parting meeting a large number testified that this was the best meeting ever held in the State.
Thus closed another precious season of refreshment, and the laborers go forth to their fields with renewed courage and, we trust, greater power to push the triumphs of the cross. May the experiences gained here never be forgotten, but may such occasions be more and more frequent till the day of God.
E. H. GATES – Review and Herald, June 17, 1890