Ramsey Co., St. Paul, Wilder Street North and Merriam Lane, Merriam Park Map
Find it today: From I-94, take exit 237 onto Cretin Avenue traveling south. In about 3 blocks, turn east (left) on Carroll Avenue. Travel 3 blocks to Wilder Street and turn north (left). The park will be about a half a block ahead on the right. On May 1, 1920, the Minnesota SDA Conference office would be moved to a location just 3 blocks east of Merriam Park at 1854 Roblyn Avenue.
Read more about this camp meeting in the Minneapolis Tribune newspapers:
May 31, 1895 - The 4th column article entitled "In the Tented City"
June 10, 1895 - The 5th column article entitled "Sunday In Camp"
THE MINNESOTA CAMP-MEETING. - This meeting was held in a beautiful park midway between St. Paul and Minneapolis. The attendance of our people was somewhat larger than last year, and there was a very good attendance at the evening services from the two cities. The interest in the meetings increased from the first, as the truths for this time were presented.
The laborers from abroad were Elders O. A. Olsen, G. E. Fifield, S. F. Svenson, H. Shultz, Dr. D. Paulson, Prof. J. W. Loughhead, and the writer. Dr. Paulson attended the workers' meeting, and gave instruction on the health principles which are connected with this message. He dealt with principles, leaving each one to work out the details. The instruction was well received. Professor Loughhead spoke on the educational interests connected with Union College. He was encouraged to expect quite a large attendance at the college the next school year. Elder Shultz labored for the Germans, and Elder Svenson for the Scandinavians. Elder Olsen gave much important and timely instruction to the ministry and Bible workers. He also spoke several times on the progress of the message and the relations of each individual to the cause at large.
The Spirit of the Lord attended the preaching services each day, and many who never had given their hearts to the Lord made a start in the Christian life. Others who had become cold and indifferent were reclaimed, and went to their homes rejoicing in the love of God. The principles of true religious liberty were presented by Elder Fifield, and were appreciated by our brethren and those from the outside. At the close of the meeting forty were baptized, while others who presented themselves for baptism deferred the rite until they reached their homes.
This conference has made some growth the past year, although there was but one church admitted. But we understand there are several others which are ready for organization. The finances have been kept up very well considering the depression that has existed the past year. All the laborers were settled with, and a small balance left in the treasury. The first-day offerings on the camp-ground amounted to nearly $200. The Sabbath-school offerings amounted to over $60. There was but little change in the Conference officers. Elder Allee was re-elected to the office of president. Harmony and union prevail in the Conference, and the prospects for a good work the coming year are very encouraging. At the closing meeting the general sentiment was expressed that this was the best camp-meeting ever held.
J. H. DURLAND – Review and Herald, June 25, 1895