Ramsey Co., St. Paul, Wilder Street North and Merriam Lane, Merriam Park Map
Find it today: From I-94, take exit 237 onto Cretin Avenue traveling south. In about 3 blocks, turn east (left) on Carroll Avenue. Travel 3 blocks to Wilder Street and turn north (left). The park will be about a half a block ahead on the right. On May 1, 1920, the Minnesota SDA Conference office would be moved to a location just 3 blocks east of Merriam Park at 1854 Roblyn Avenue.
Read more about this camp meeting in the Minneapolis Tribune newspapers:
June 4, 1896 - The 2nd column article entitled "A Multitude In Camp"
MINNESOTA CAMP-MEETING. This meeting was held at Merriam Park, St. Paul, according to appointment, May 26 to June 8, the workers' meeting occupying the first week. It was a workers' meeting indeed; all labored incessantly not only in preparing the camp, but in meetings, in which instruction was received and imparted. The time was filled with sermons, prayers, and testimonies, and a free discussion of those topics which were beneficial to all. In these discussions, ministers, licentiates, Bible workers, and canvassers freely participated, Elder Allee, president of the conference, presiding. The grove was all that could be desired, being supplied with an abundance of pure, fresh water, and situated on the interurban electric line, on which cars passed every three minutes, connecting the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. These twin cities of the Northwest are only ten miles apart from center to center.
The camp-meeting proper began Tuesday morning, June 2, closing Sunday evening, June 7. There were one hundred and twenty-five tents pitched, the greater part of them being new. Under the beautiful green oak-trees, the camp presented an appearance pleasing indeed to the eye. There were fully one thousand of our people camped on the ground. The sermons delivered were of a practical nature, interwoven with doctrinal truths, and were intended to teach those present the importance of the thrilling times in which we are living, and the deep consecration necessary to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the present time.
The workers of the State were present, and several of the ministers took part in the preaching services. Outside of their own laborers, there were present Elders J. H. Durland, W. B. White, H. Grant, F. M. Wilcox, L. A. Hoopes, Dr. Paulson, and the writer. Dr. Paulson's labors were in special reference to temperance and purity in the cause of God. Elder Hoopes labored in the interest of education, especially as connected with Union College. Elder Darland labored in revival efforts. Upon two occasions an especial move was made in behalf of those who wished to renew their consecration or to begin the service of God for the first time. At the first effort, one hundred persons came forward and at the second, fully two hundred thus signified their desire to draw near to God.
The social meetings from beginning to end were of special interest. Sunday, June 7, the last day of the meeting, Elder Wilcox presented the subject of foreign missions. A large number not of our faith were present at this meeting. His remarks were indeed interesting. The collection made for foreign missions resulted in a donation of $181, those not of our faith giving as liberally as did our own people. One woman, not an Adventist, gave several dollars, which was all she had, only regretting that she had not more to give.
The Sabbath-school each Sabbath was a success. All were deeply interested in the lessons, and the collection for missions was $65, thus making a total for our foreign work of $246. Besides this, $150 was raised in pledges and cash for the Minnesota endowed bed at the Sanitarium Hospital.
The work has prospered throughout the State during the past year. Seven new churches have been admitted into the conference. Brother Fred Johnson, a Scandinavian laborer, was ordained to the work of the gospel ministry. The scene was a solemn and impressive one. Elder N. W. Allee was re-elected as president of the conference. Everything passed off without a jar, and when the final benediction was pronounced, and the brethren and sisters departed to their homes, it was with the feeling that one of the best camp-meetings ever held in the State was in the past.
S. H. LANE – Review and Herald, June 30, 1896