May 31 - June 6, 1898

Ramsey Co., St. Paul, Wilder Street North and Merriam Lane, Merriam Park    Map

Find it today: From I-94, take exit 237 onto Cretin Avenue traveling south. In about 3 blocks, turn east (left) on Carroll Avenue. Travel 3 blocks to Wilder Street and turn north (left). The park will be about a half a block ahead on the right. On May 1, 1920, the Minnesota SDA Conference office would be moved to a location just 3 blocks east of Merriam Park at 1854 Roblyn Avenue

Read more about this camp meeting in the St. Paul Globe newspapers: 
May 29, 1898 - The 3rd column article entitled "Adventists In Camp Again"
May 30, 1898 - The 6th column article entitled "At the Adventist Camp"
June 5, 1898 - The 5th column article entitled "Observe Their Sabbath"
June 6, 1898 - The 7th column article entitled "Large Crowds Attend"

MN SDA History Editor's Note: Even though the Review and Herald camp meeting report doesn't refer to the exact location, the location is cited in the St. Paul Globe newspaper as being Merriam Park where it had been held for several years.

CAMP-MEETINGS IN IOWA AND MINNESOTA. (Only the Minnesota portion is presented here.)  I … left the evening of June 1, in company with Prof. E. A. Sutherland, for Minneapolis, where the Minnesota meeting was in progress. The camp was situated in a beautiful grove, midway between St. Paul and Minneapolis, two blocks from the street-car line that connects the two cities.

The meeting had been in progress for two days when we arrived, and a good spirit prevailed. Sister S. M. I. Henry had been the only worker from abroad laboring among the Americans. Elders O. A. Johnson and J. W. Westphal were present, the former laboring for the Scandinavians, and the latter for the Germans. The force of laborers for the English-speaking brethren was augmented Friday morning by the arrival of Elder J. A. Brunson and Dr. David Paulson, so Professor Sutherland went on to the Wisconsin meeting. Dr. Paulson rendered valuable service in public speaking, also in visiting the sick and giving medical advice.

Sister Henry had been giving a series of lessons on the Holy Spirit, and the causes which hinder its constant, abiding presence with God's people. Each of the other speakers took up a parallel line of thought, all culminating at the one point – holiness of life by a faith that works by love and purifies the heart through perfect obedience to all the light God has given and is giving. These teachings resulted, on Sabbath, in a unanimous movement on the part of the entire congregation to consecrate themselves, soul, body, and spirit, to the service of the Master; and the consecration was witnessed to by a pentecostal blessing of the Holy Spirit such as I have never before seen on any camp-ground.

In the afternoon, by request, I spoke, through an interpreter, to the Scandinavian brethren in their tent, upon the importance of love and unity in the church and work in general, referring to statements made in the Testimonies advising all to avoid building up partition walls between different nationalities. The talk was well received; and at its conclusion I enjoyed a hearty handshaking with all present.

Sunday was also a good day, notwithstanding it rained almost continually, and the pavilion leaked badly. Elders Johnson and Brunson occupied a portion of the early morning hour, in the interests of Union College; and the remainder of the time was used by Sister Henry in speaking of her work the past year. At eleven o'clock, I spoke on foreign missions; and although my hearers were partly hidden from view by the umbrellas they were compelled to raise to protect themselves from the rain, this did not dampen their ardor; for when the collection was taken, three hundred dollars in cash and pledges was realized.

Sister Henry spoke in the afternoon. At the conclusion of the service, a large company repaired to the river, where between fifty and sixty were baptized by Elder D. Nettleton, others assisting. Elder Brunson closed the public services Sunday night, by an eloquent and well connected discourse on how to make the instruction of the meeting practical in the every-day home life.

The business sessions of the Conference were, in the main, harmonious, and the reports showed a healthy growth in nearly all branches of the work. A good increase in the tithe was a noticeable feature of the report. After paying a considerable amount due on last year's audit, and all of the present, besides paying something on an old debt, a handsome surplus remained in the treasury with which to begin the summer's work. Upward of four hundred dollars was raised for a new pavilion. Elder C. W. Flaiz was unanimously re-elected president of the Conference, all expressing confidence in his devotion and ability successfully to prosecute the work the coming year.

I had heard much about Minneapolis, and was somewhat prejudiced against the place on that account; but after enjoying such a good meeting, I am persuaded that the spirit that was rife at that General Conference was carried there rather than originating there. May the Lord continue to add his blessing to the work in this field, as the brethren continue to walk in the light.

GEO. A. IRWIN – Review and Herald, June 21, 1898

Lessons of the past
Hope for the future