McLeod Co., Hutchinson, City North Park (Library Park) Map
Find it today: In the center of Hutchinson, on the east side of Main Street South, bounded by Washington Avenue East on the north side, Hassan Street SE on the east side, and First Avenue SE on the south side. The official name of the park is "North Park" but it is commonly referred to as "Library Park" due to the Carnegie Library located within the park.
Editor's Note: Camp meeting was originally planned to be in Willmar in 1910, but it was decided to have it in Hutchinson instead since the Northern Union Conference was opening the Danish-Norwegian Seminary there on September 28, 1910. The lovely Hutchinson Park System was created when the Hutchinson brothers founded the town in 1855 and set aside 15 acres for parks, making it the nation's second oldest park system (New York City's Central Park being the oldest). Camp meeting had been held in Hutchinson before, in 1877 and 1878, when it was in a park by the river. In 1910, and again in 1911, it was held in Hutchinson's North Park (Library Park). After 1911, it would be over a half century (56 years) before camp meeting was held in Hutchinson again – when it returned in 1967, long after the seminary had become Maplewood Academy. Incidentally, North Park is located between Main and Hassan Streets - Hassan being the original name for the Crow River. Hassan was the Native American name for "Maple Leaf" ... quite remarkable that Maplewood Academy later came to overlook the lovely town of Hutchinson and the "Hassan (Maple Leaf) River"!
THE ADVENTISTS will not come to Willmar this year as arranged, as they changed the place of meeting to Hutchinson, where they lately acquired a college farm and bulidings.
Willmar Tribune, April 13, 1910
All tent orders should be addressed to Elder A. V. Olson, Hutchinson, Minn. Brother Olson expects to reach the campground May 23, and will be there from that time on. He informs me that some have ordered flys for the 10 x 12 tents. Such have undoubtedly failed to notice the statement made in the REAPER a few weeks ago to the effect that the conference owns no flys for these tents. They have a steep roof and generally are waterproof. The tents this year will be largely in the shade, so that no protection will be needed from the sun.
The train service is as follows: The Great Northern leaves St. Paul for Hutchinson at 5:40 P. M., and leaves Minneapolis at 6:10 P. M. This is the only train on the Great Northern from the Twin Cities daily. This train does not run on Sunday. Passengers coming over the Great Northern and Northern Pacific lines from the North and Northwest should transfer in Minneapolis, as, should they go on to St. Paul and there transfer, they would entail extra expense and would not reach there in time to make the connection. The Great Northern local passengers coming from St. Cloud and Fergus Falls will have thirty-five minutes to wait in Minneapolis, while those coming on the Northern Pacific have only fifteen. By all means have your baggage checked clear through to Hutchinson. Passengers coming over the Great Northern from the North, and finding their train a little delayed, would do well to request the conductor to telegraph ahead, as the Hutchinson train might wait.
Those coming over the Breckenridge division of the Great Northern should transfer at Wayzata, not coming to the cities. They will have one hour to wait here. The train leaves Wayzata for Hutchinson at 6:35 P. M., daily, except Sunday.
The Milwaukee train leaves St. Paul at 6:00 P. M., and at 8:15 A. M. The same trains leave Minneapolis at 6:45 P. M. and 9:00 A. M. Passengers coming by the way of Austin on the I. & M. division need not come to the city, unless they prefer, as they can change at Farmington. The train leaves Farmington for Hutchinson at 5:30 P. M., and there will be a saving of about fifty cents by not coming to the city. Passengers coming by the way of Mankato, over the Milwaukee, may also transfer at this point if they desire. Those coming over the Northwestern from Mankato and points south, may transfer at Shakopee. The Milwaukee train leaves there at 6:33 P. M. Passengers coming over the St. Louis from the South may transfer at Shaska. The Milwaukee train leaves Shaska at 6:43 P. M.
Anyone coming from Sioux Falls over the St. Cloud and Sioux Falls division of the Great Northern, may transfer at Granite Falls. Trains make connections with both the day and night trains. The Great Northern arrives in Granite Falls from the South about thirty minutes before the Milwaukee leaves. There will thus be ample time to transfer.
In Minneapolis the Great Northern, Northern Pacific and Northwestern are the principal roads running into the Union Depot which will connect with the Great Northern running to Hutchinson. The Rock Island and Soo passengers may transfer more easily to the Milwaukee in Minneapolis, the trains coming into the same depot. The St. Louis passengers have a depot of their own. In St. Paul, however, all trains run into the Union Depot, and no transfers of depots will be necessary.
Should any individual living out of the state be unable to get the information desired from the local agent, the undersigned will be pleased to answer a letter.
In packing for campmeeting it is well not to put the straw tick in the bottom of the trunk, but in the top of the suitcase. On reaching the ground the bed tick can be filled and placed on the bed before the trunk is transferred, thus saving time. It is also very convenient to have an old hammer or hatchet along to assist in the preparation of the tent.
Baggage from all trains will be immediately transferred during the first part of the meeting. The latest train reaches Hutchinson in the evening at 9:35. All will thus be able to get nicely settled for the night. The camp is about four blocks to the west of either depot. Anyone coming in can easily find it. Just follow the passengers to the main street of the village. Go directly across and two blocks on west and you will see the camp. It is to the right of the Milwaukee depot and straight ahead from the Great Northern.
Excellent help has been promised, and especial preparations are being made by the local workers. We are anticipating a splendid meeting, and a large outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
S. E. JACKSON. - Northern Union Reaper, May 17, 1910
MINNESOTA CAMP-MEETING – The Minnesota annual conference and camp-meeting were held at Hutchinson, Minn., June 9-19. The camp was only two blocks from the center of the town, in a beautiful park containing many large trees. The abundant shade was greatly appreciated, as the weather was very hot. About six hundred fifty persons were encamped upon the grounds, and the attendance of the citizens of Hutchinson and vicinity was good, especially in the evenings during the latter part of the meeting.
Besides services in the English language, regular meetings were held for the Scandinavian and German brethren. A number of doctrinal themes were presented during the evening services. At the meetings designed especially for our people, subjects adapted to their needs were presented. Both Sabbaths of the meeting, revival services were held, with excellent results. The needs of the various departments of our work were considered, and plans were laid for more aggressive effort along all lines of missionary endeavor. Five workers were released for other fields, and a number of recruits were added to the home force.
It will be remembered that Hutchinson is the town where the Danish-Norwegian seminary is to be established. We had the pleasure of visiting the fine building which, through the providence of God, our brethren have been able to secure. A liberal response was made to a call for funds for this school, and to help raise the $300,000 Fund. Some three thousand dollars was taken up in cash, and pledges. The book sales amounted to about five hundred dollars.
On the first Sunday of the meeting an interesting and profitable temperance rally was conducted. The mayor of Hutchinson, who is a strong temperance man, participated with our brethren in the program. For two years no liquor has been sold in Hutchinson, and the jail has been empty. On the last Sunday afternoon of the meeting twenty-six persons were baptized, a large company witnessing the rite.
There was one feature connected with this meeting that perhaps contributed more than any other to its success, and that was the district meeting, or family worship. The occupants of three family tents were grouped together in district meetings, and during the hour set apart for these meetings, it was planned that none should wander about the grounds, but every one be in attendance at one of them.
Elder S. E. Jackson, with a strong associate committee, was chosen to superintend the work for another year.
Besides the regular laborers of the conference there were present Elders R. A. Underwood, O. A. Olsen, C. Santee, M. N. Campbell, A. J. Haysmcr, L. H. Christian, G. F. Haffner, S. Mortenson, L. A. Hansen, W. L. Manful, Prof. P. T. Magan, Dr. G. H. Heald, and the writer.
K. C. RUSSELL – Review and Herald, July 7, 1910
The next meeting I attended was at Hutchinson, Minn. This was held in a public park, covered with beautiful native trees, in the center of the town. The use of the ground was given by the city, and it was one of the most ideal spots for a camp-meeting that I have ever seen. The arrangements for the camp in many respects were almost ideal. Everything was in readiness before the meeting began, and the grounds were kept clean and tidy.
The meeting made a good impression upon the people, and the editors of the local papers gave excellent reports of the exercises. The evening services were generally devoted to doctrinal themes of the message. On the first Sunday of the meeting there was a temperance rally, in which the mayor of the city, the State secretary of the Y. M. C. A., Mr. Peck, Dr. Hawkins, and the writer took part. This meeting was highly commended by the local papers.
Thirty-three years ago, upon the same grounds, a camp-meeting was held by our people. Following this rneeting a large church was raised up, but deaths and removals have reduced the believers at Hutchinson to eight or ten.
The new Danish-Norwegian seminary is located at Hutchinson, and this fact added to the interest of our own people in attending the meeting, as well as to the general interest of the citizens. About six hundred fifty of our own brethren were encamped upon the ground. The sweet, gentle Spirit of God seemed to pervade the entire encampment. Meetings were conducted in the German, Scandinavian, and English languages. This called for laborers in these various tongues. Among those in attendance were Elders O. A. Olsen, G. F. Haffner, P. T. Magan, K. C. Russell, and others.
The brethren took hold of the " Ministry of Healing" campaign, and indorsed the plan they had already entered upon to raise their proportion of the $300,000 Fund, besides indorsing the raising of $4,000 in the conference for the Danish-Norwegian school.
R. A. UNDERWOOD – Review and Herald, July 21, 1910