McLeod Co., Hutchinson, City North Park (Library Park) Map
Find it today: In the center of Hutchinson, on the east side of Main Street South, bounded by Washington Avenue East on the north side, Hassan Street SE on the east side, and First Avenue SE on the south side. The official name of the park is "North Park" but it is commonly referred to as "Library Park" due to the Carnegie Library located within the park.
Editor's Note: Camp meeting was originally planned to be in Willmar in 1910, but it was decided to have it in Hutchinson instead since the Northern Union Conference was opening the Danish-Norwegian Seminary there on September 28, 1910. The lovely Hutchinson Park System was created when the Hutchinson brothers founded the town in 1855 and set aside 15 acres for parks, making it the nation's second oldest park system (New York City's Central Park being the oldest). Camp meeting had been held in Hutchinson before, in 1877 and 1878, when it was in a park by the river. In 1910, and again in 1911, it was held in Hutchinson's North Park (Library Park). After 1911, it would be over a half century (56 years) before camp meeting was held in Hutchinson again – when it returned in 1967, long after the seminary had become Maplewood Academy. Incidentally, North Park is located between Main and Hassan Streets - Hassan being the original name for the Crow River. Hassan was the Native American name for "Maple Leaf" ... quite remarkable that Maplewood Academy later came to overlook the lovely town of Hutchinson and the "Hassan (Maple Leaf) River"!
MINNESOTA CAMP-MEETING – This meeting was held in Hutchinson, June 8-18. The regular session was preceded by a workers' meeting, which began June 1. The people of Hutchinson generously gave us the use of their beautiful city park in which to pitch the camp, and also furnished free water and other facilities.
About six hundred people were encamped on the ground, and one hundred twenty tents were pitched. One interesting feature of this meeting was the large number of promising young people in attendance. The young people's tent was often crowded at the services, and many could not find seats. Great interest was manifested in the meetings. A large number of young people were converted, and others re-consecrated their lives to God in the revival services that were held in the afternoons.
The annual session of the Minnesota Conference was held in connection with this meeting. The business passed off harmoniously, and each department showed substantial gains. Elder S. E. Jackson was unanimously reelected president of the conference, with practically the same executive committee as formerly.
One noticeable and encouraging feature in the Minnesota Conference is the harmony and brotherly love that exist among the laborers. Christ said: "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one for another."
A live interest was taken in our literature, and the sales at the book tent amounted to about eight hundred dollars.
On the last Sunday morning of the meeting; a call was made for foreign missions and a building fund for the Maplewood Academy. In all, about six thousand dollars was raised in cash and pledges for the two objects named.
From beginning to end, this was a great meeting. In a letter received from Elder S. E. Jackson just following the meeting, he expressed his appreciation of the work done, in the following words: "The general expression is that this is the best camp-meeting we have held in many a day, if not the best ever held in Minnesota." All seemed to desire to make the meeting a time of earnest and persistent prayer, of heart-searching and putting away of all sin, and for the reception of the Holy Spirit for service.
At eight o'clock each morning, workers and ministers meetings were held, and it was gratifying to see all, both old and young, of the large working force gathered together at this meeting. This in itself was a pledge of the desire of all for a deeper and more definite experience.
The instruction of the people in the day meetings as well as some of the evening services was confined to the needs of their own condition in practical life, the key-note of which is found in Paul's letter to the Corinthians: “Thanks be unto God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” The servant of God has said: “He who grasps this thought has before him an infinite field for study. He has the key that will unlock to him the whole treasure-house of God's Word.”
On the last Sabbath of the meeting the usual order of the services was reversed, as was also done at the South Dakota and Wisconsin meetings. This proved a great blessing in all these gatherings. Beginning at 9:30 the whole forenoon was given to the spiritual interests of the people, the Sabbath-school being held at 3:30 in the afternoon. This meeting continued with unabated interest until one o'clock, and resulted in a great victory. Hundreds of men and women from all over the tent came forward. Ministers left the platform, and singers the choir, to join with these in earnest prayer and to re-consecrate their lives to God. A large number were converted, and many backsliders who had not attended camp-meeting for a number of years were reclaimed. To be there was to be blessed, and we were all greatly refreshed and strengthened. At five o'clock in the afternoon Prof. P. T. Magan led a wonderfully inspiring social and prayer service, the general character of which was a shout of victory and praise to God for deliverance from sin, and the reception of the Spirit for keeping power. The next day a beautiful baptismal service was held in the river near by. Thirty-three persons were baptized.
R. D. QUINN – Review and Herald, July 20, 1911