Rice Co., Northfield, Central Park Map
Find it today: From I-35, take Highway 19 business route (Lonsdale Boulevard) east into Northfield - this becomes 5th Street when it crosses into the city limits. Continue east on 5th Street, crossing the Cannon River (this is where baptisms were held for camp meeting in 1912). One and a half blocks east of the river, turn right (north) onto Division Street South and go one block to East 4th Street and turn right (east) onto East 4th Street. As you travel on Division Street, history buffs may wish to note the First Natioinal Bank Museum on the left (west side of road), site of the infamous robbery of the First National Bank of Northfield by the James-Younger Gang in 1876. Travel 4 blocks on East 4th Street and you will arrive at Central Park on the left (north) side.
THE MINNESOTA CAMP-MEETING – The fifty-first annual session of the Minnesota Conference was held at Northfield, Minn., June 6-16. The brethren were fortunate in procuring the beautiful, shady city park in which to locate their camp. The large tent was pitched by the side of an artificial fountain in the center of the grounds, while the family tents were scattered through the park among the elms and maples. Many remarked that it was the most beautiful camp-ground they had ever seen.
About 750 of our own people were in attendance at the meeting. Aside from laborers of the conference, there were present Elder Charles Thompson, president of the Northern Union; Prof. W. W. Ruble; Prof. E. L. Benson, of Union College; Elders O. A. Olsen, L. H. Christian, and S. Mortensen; Brethren F. E. Painter, C. A. Pedicord, and S. N. Curtiss; and the writer.
Meetings were conducted regularly each day in the English, German, and Scandinavian languages. Brethren Ruble and Benson had charge of the young people's meetings.
There was a good attendance from the city at the evening meetings, and the Lord gave great freedom to Elders Bernstein and Thompson, who carried the burden of these services.
The reports from the different departments of work in the conference showed good progress. The Sabbath-school secretary reported 83 Sabbath-schools, 59 Home Department schools, with a total membership of 2,070. During the year the Sabbath-schools gave to missions $3,843.86. This is $1,000 more than was given in 1909. Their aim for 1912 is a thousand dollars a quarter. During the first quarter they passed the thousand-dollar mark by over $80.
There were about 240 young people on the ground, and their interest in the meetings, especially the early morning meetings, showed that they came to the camp-meeting for the purpose of getting out of it all they could. Thirty of these young persons were baptized at the close of the meeting, a large number of whom made their start in the Christian life at this time.
There was a good response when the call was made for funds to help the work. Four thousand dollars was raised in cash and pledges for home and foreign work.
The delegates present manifested a keen interest in the business meetings of the conference, and each item presented was passed unanimously. Elder G. W. Wells, of North Carolina, was elected conference president, and Brother S. E. Jackson vice-president. The other officers of the conference remain about the same as they were.
The counsels and instruction of Elder Olsen had the good old-fashioned ring, and were much appreciated by the brethren and sisters on the ground.
The meetings held in the interests of the colporteur work revealed a deep interest among the brethren in this work. Two public meetings were held in the large tent at the eleven o'clock hour to consider this phase of the work, and meetings were held daily with those who were especially interested. Those present manifested a strong determination to push forward this branch of the work more vigorously than ever before, not only during the summer months, but during the twelve months of the year.
The last day of the meeting forty candidates were baptized in the Cannon River.
N. Z. TOWN – Review and Herald, July 18, 1912