Anoka Co., Anoka, 1500 Sixth Avenue South, George Green Park Map
Find it today: In downtown Anoka: if you are traveling from Highway 169, turn east on East Main Street and then turn south on 7th Avenue - if you are traveling from Highway 10, turn south on 7th Avenue. From the intersection of East Main Street and 7th Avenue, travel about 5 blocks south on 7th Avenue. George Green Park will be on the west side of 7th Avenue, between 6th Avenue and 7th Avenue. Still standing are the old "cafeteria" (now a service shed) on the 6th Avenue side of the park and the "Book and Bible House" building (now a Senior Citizens Center) next to the cafeteria.
CAMPMEETING – A city made of cotton is rapidly springing up in Anoka. Just now as you step on to the campground you see evidence of life on every side, it surely is a busy place. Every one present is working hard, and special effort is being made to have all things in readiness for the campers when they arrive.
It is a pleasure to see the spirit of unity and co-operation manifest among the workers as they toil together in pitching the camp. The work is progressing nicely and our brethren may depend upon it that the Campmeeting Committee will do the best they can for the comfort and joy of our people.
If we are to judge by the many early orders received for tents we will have a large attendance this year. It is hoped that all will come early and remain the entire time.
Let our people remember that the Great Northern and Northern Pacific Railroads run into Anoka. The camp is pitched about one and one-fourth miles south of the station, between 6th and 7th Avenues.
G. W. WELLS – Northern Union Reaper, May 29, 1917
MINNESOTA'S CAMPMEETING – It was the best one that Minnesota ever had. The weather was ideal, with one exception – the big wind that tore a hole in Elder Kuehl's kitchen tent, blew the young peoples' tent down and damaged one or two of the others. However, a new tent, ordered for this meeting, was received in time to put up for the young people, and the meetings went on as usual.
Elder Benton, the superintendent, had all the details looked after, and to him is due in a great measure the credit for the comforts and attention that the campers experienced. There was a man for every job, and they were well handled. For instance, in the baggage room, some of our good young men would be on hand when the trains arrived, and before the people were well on their way to their tents, their trunks and baggage were at the ground. At the close, a ticket agent and two baggage men from the railway companies assisted in ticketing the people to their homes, so there was no bother or hitch in departing.
From the standpoint of the ministering brethren, it may be said that the blessing of the Lord seemed to rest upon the services. All received a full measure of the good things that were in store, and the studies presented were such that could but edify and strengthen the individual during the months to come. Elders Evans, Boettcher, Ogden, Russell, Lacey and others besides our own Union and local ministers took part.
Elder Kuehl as usual served the people with choice menus. The service was good, and despite the fact that six or seven hundred were in line some days, the chief of the kitchen, Mrs. Kuehl seemed always to have enough good things to eat.
Sales in the book tent were very satisfactory, and showed a good gain over last year. The bargain counter was usually cleared off by 10 o'clock in the morning, and some excellent values were offered.
D. W. Reavis, veteran circulation manager of the Review and Herald force; H. W. Sherrig, of Brookfield; and H. R. Gay, of the Kansas City branch, were on hand, and took pleasure in telling of the onward progress of the message in printed forms.
Thanks are due to the Review and Herald, the Pacific Press and the REAPER for the copies of our papers they distributed to the campers.
G. L. GULBRANDSON – Northern Union Reaper, June 26, 1917